Monday, January 14, 2008

Well meaning friend

It's the beginning of a new week so I'm trying to start out with a positive attitude.
Yesterday, while shopping with a friend, she asked if DH and I were worried/concerned that the child/children we adopt will have mental/behavioral issues. I know that her concern is based on stories she's heard about institionalized children that have been abused or neglected. I answered the best I could and appreciate the tone of her question. I wasn't quite sure if she got the answer she was hoping but I did the best that I could.

I told her that IF we are faced with those issues we are fully prepared to get the help our child needs and of course it would be difficult for all involved. I also told her that most of the time, you hear negative stories about adoption and very rarely the good ones. I'm not saying that love conquers all, just that we are commited to this and will deal with it if and when the time comes.

2 comments:

junglemama said...

We have adopted three times before and have heard similar things. You have to take it with a grain of salt. Our four daughters are all success stories so it happens more often thatn your friend thinks. God bLess your journey.

Jeri said...

While our situation is the negative kind (abused in the orphanage, etc) and as hard as it is at times to maintain my sanity...here's the bottom line, you end up with the child or children He chooses for you. While I think your positive attitude will carry you through, making sure you are prepared for any situation adoption-wise will help too. Here's what I wish I had read before traveling: Toddler Adoption:The Weaver's Craft. We would have done things so very differently. There are many, many wonderful orphanages in Ukraine. Even the Baby House in Sumy, where our son comes from (not the baby house, he was at the preschool or boarding school)provided the children with wonderful care. I'd post on FRUA and looking for families who've had wonderful experiences with their child. Then you can have your facilitator request those books specifically. It all comes down to the director really and his/her committment to the children. Even though our situation has been heartbreaking, when I think of my son there without us, I'm glad He guided us to him. jerigrothues@yahoo.com